Showing posts with label major. Show all posts
Showing posts with label major. Show all posts

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Shell confirm attack on pipeline in SE Nigeria

LAGOS, June 18 (Xinhua) -- The Royal Dutch Shell Thursday said its Trans Ramos Pipeline at Aghoro-2 community in southeast oil-rich Nigeria's Bayelsa State was attacked Wednesday night.

"SPDC Joint Venture can confirm the Trans Ramos Pipeline at Aghoro-2 community in Bayelsa State was attacked last night (June 17)," Tony Okonedo, manager corporate media relations with Shell Nigeria Exploration Production Company Limited said in a statement reaching here.

"Some oil production has been shut in to avoid potential environmental impact," he added. According to him, relevant government agencies have been informed, and a joint investigation visit is planned.

Nigeria's major militant group in the oil-rich Niger Delta region the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) said Wednesday its fighter destroyed a major crude oil pipeline in southeast in Bayelsa state belonging to Royal Dutch Shell as it continues its campaign against foreign oil companies.



Nigerian militants claim destroying major Shell pipeline

LAGOS, June 18 (Xinhua) -- Nigeria's major militant group in the oil rich Niger Delta region the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) said its fighter destroyed a major crude oil pipeline in southeast in Bayelsa state belonging to Royal Dutch Shell as it continues its campaign against foreign oil companies.

"At about 20:30 Hrs (2030 GMT) of Wednesday, June 17, 2009, fighters from MEND in furtherance of Hurricane Piper Alpha (our campaign to cripple the entire oil and gas export of the Federal Republic of Nigeria), destroyed with high explosives a major crude oil trunk line in Bayelsa state belonging to Shell," the group spokesman Jomo Gbomo said in a statement reaching here. Full story

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Chinese festive spending remains robust, retail sales up 13.8%

Special Report: Spring Festival Special 2009


BEIJING, Jan. 31 (Xinhua) -- China's spending enthusiasm over the Lunar New Year holiday seemed undimmed by the global financial crisis, figures from the Ministry of Commerce showed Saturday.

Retail sales rose 13.8 percent to 290 billion yuan (42.4 billion U.S. dollars), from 255 billion yuan over last year's week-long Lunar New Year holiday, or Spring Festival.

The robust spending was helped by sales promotions in major cities as well as government subsidies for farmers to purchase home appliances.

Guangzhou, capital of south China's Guangdong Province, organized a shopping campaign with about 10,000 companies offering discounts that added up to 400 million yuan, the ministry said.

Shopping malls in Beijing, Shanghai, Jiangsu and Shandong had promotions, free gifts and lucky draws to lure customers, who were willing to spend for the China's major holiday despite the economic downturn.

"There are more customers than usual. That's totally unexpected. I feel shorthanded on my own," said a salesgirl surnamed Yang, on duty Saturday at Sogo department story in Beijing.

A sample survey by Beijing Commercial Information and Consultation Center of the Municipal Bureau of Commerce showed 100catering, supermarket and department store companies in the city reported total sales up by 150 million yuan, an average of 8 percent, over the past week.

Sales of home appliances in rural areas surged as a result of government subsidies.

The government began in 2007 to grant a 13-percent subsidy to farmers to buy color TVs, refrigerators, mobile phones, washing machines and freezers. The program is in effect in 12 provinces.

The ministry said leading home appliance producers supporting the program saw sales rise 25.6 percent during the week-long holiday.

Traditional purchases of food, cigarettes, liquor and wine, fireworks continued to grow, the ministry said.

Food sales at major retailers rose 23 percent, while beverage sales increased 17.5 percent and combined sales of cigarettes, liquor and wine were up 14.7 percent.

Meanwhile, China's three major telecom operators estimated that a record 18 billion text messages were sent from Jan. 25 to 31.